Ways to be Earth-Conscious All Year
Earth Month celebrations may have ended, but at Trendmaker Homes, we are dedicated to taking care of the earth and our homeowners every single day. That’s why in each home Trendmaker builds, you’ll find our comprehensive LivingSmart® program, which helps improve the health and well-being of you, your family and our planet.
With a combination of smart technology, eco-friendly materials and energy-efficient systems and appliances, Trendmaker Homes is building some of the most energy-efficient homes in Texas, with features to help you live greener for years to come.
In the spirit of being earth-conscious all year long, here are 12 easy ways you can do your part:
1. Reduce energy usage. Smart technology allows you to cut down on the energy you use with a tap on a mobile device. Set your home thermostat while you are away and use timers for lights.
2. Cut down on disposable products. This conserves natural resources and landfill space.
• Invest in reusable water bottles or tumblers. Create a fun project for the kids and decorate them together.
• Use dish towels instead of paper towels.
• Bring reusable shopping bags to the grocery store.
3. Use long-lasting light bulbs. Energy efficient light bulbs reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Also, be sure to turn off the light switch when you leave the room!
4. Watch your garden grow. Spring is a great time to plant a vegetable garden in Texas and is a tangible way for your family to learn about nature and responsibility. Bonus: Most kids love digging in the dirt and watching things grow. This time of year, try tomatoes, peppers and onions.
5. Start a compost pile (for your new garden). Start collecting natural waste like fruits, veggies, leaves and wood shavings in a bin. Sprinkle with water from time to time. When your compost pile begins to look and smell like soil, you can use it in your garden.
6. Conserve water. The less water you use, the less runoff and wastewater that eventually ends up in the ocean.
• Turn the water off while brushing your teeth.
• Take shorter showers.
• Only run the dishwasher and washing machine with full loads.
7. Select sustainable foods. Make smart food choices that are sustainable. Think locally sourced, seasonal and environmentally friendly. It’s the perfect reason to hit up your local farmers’ market.
8. Plant a tree. Channel your inner Johnny Appleseed because trees provide food and oxygen. They also can help save energy, clean the air and combat climate change.
9. Don’t send chemicals into our waterways. Choose eco-friendly cleaning supplies for your home and office.
10. Drive less. Walk or bike to work if you live close enough. Start an office or school car pool.
11. Volunteer. Volunteer for cleanups in your community. Roll up your sleeves and help do something good like clean up at a park, pick up trash in the neighborhood or work in a community garden.
12. Choose an eco-friendly home. If you’re in the market for a new home, make sure it is “green-built” and includes features such as cost-saving LED lighting, EnergyStar® appliances, radiant roof barriers and vinyl double pane Low-E windows.
Ready for a new home full of the newest LivingSmart features? Our New Home Specialist, Kim Bennett, would be happy to help! Click here to learn more about our Houston communities or click here to learn more about our Austin communities.